7.26.2006

Wasting time at work

According to Salary.com, "Time wasted by employees at work is down from 2005, but it is still costing companies billions in 2006. According to the 2nd annual survey by America Online and Salary.com, the average worker admits to squandering 1.86 hours per 8-hour workday, not including lunch and scheduled break-time, which is down from 2.09 hours in 2005. As a matter of practice, companies assume a certain amount of wasted time when determining employee pay. However, the 2nd installment of the survey indicates that employees are continuing to waste about twice as much time as their employers expect. Salary.com calculates that employers spend $544 billion per year on salaries for which real work is expected, but none is done."

I wonder what those wasteful employee workloads look like. Are they getting their jobs done in less time? From my personal experience, I waste a WHOLE lot less time if I have something to do with my time that is work related. My boss knows I'm caught up; I've asked him for more work, but I haven't recieved those new assignments yet... you do what you gotta do. I'd go home if I were allowed.

Interestingly, of the employees who admitted to wasting time, they said that they spent 52% of their wasted time on the internet.

No comments: