4.27.2006

Zoom out

Sometimes as I am going about my day something happens that I have begun to term "zoom out". This happened to me today as I was on my way to the restroom. I passed a woman in the hallway and it struck me that this woman, just like me, has a life. I realized that she has hopes and dreams, she loves or hates her job, has to deal with high gas prices, and clothing fashions, etc. Jesus loves her too.

I realized that I must spend most of my life walking around thinking that those people who are incidentals in my life are bots. They might look and act like real people, but there's nothing behind the eyes. I wonder when I started seeing people that way? I wonder why?

Most of my awake time I spend so focused in on what is going on in my life and my closest friends and family that I completely forget that everyone else out there - EVERYONE ELSE - goes through their lives with just as much anquish and joy as I do. It is moments like these where God zooms me out, just a bit, where I am able to appreciate the amazing complexity that exists around me. Wow. We live in an amazing place.

No comments: