9.14.2006

My sister

My sister has recently reemerged into my life. I am so very happy. We were so close as children, then we became teenagers and sort of just lost it. Of course, part of that was me going to a foreign country for a year, then graduating and going off to college, but still, it was really tough to realize that being close as we had been wasn't something that was guaranteed to continue for the rest of our lives. I can remember the day that I realized this so clearly. I'd just come home from my first semester at college for Christmas break; I'd been there for about 4 days or so when Rachel came stomping into my room. She demanded that I go back to college because she was tired of me interrupting her social life. That was harsh. But I withdrew. It wasn't worth the hurt to try.

Fast forward 7 years, and she calls me. She says that she wants to get our relationship back to where it used to be, so we can share our experiences, be close sisters again. Welcome back. And even if we go through periods of closeness and distance, I will always keep the light on for you and a cup of tea warming on the stove. I love you.

No comments: